Monday, August 31, 2009

the pay-offs of being pale

I am so proud and impressed with myself. For the first time in my 26 years, I can safely say I did not get a "tan" this summer.

I read yesterday that we only got 3 sunny weekends in June, July, and August combined (that is beyond depressing), which obviously contributes to my tanlessness right now. But that's not the only contributing factor - I have been SO much more mindful of my skin's safety, even when just going outside for walks in the sun. And you know what? It shows - my skin is smoother, less blotchy, and most important, less leathery and aged-looking. This newfound skin glory is thanks to my favorite sunscreen right now: Kate Somerville Protect SPF 30 Sunscreen. Every day before going outside, I slather this on my chest and arms. It's non-sticky, non-greasy, non-chalky, non-everything-you-hate-in-a-sunscreen. I also love that it doesn't smell like sunscreen, because let's be honest here, who wants to smell like the beach when they're actually running errands in Manhattan? Grossest feeling ever.

Another star product participating in my anti-malignant melanoma plan is Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF 30. The stuff is brilliant for former SPF-phobes like myself. You literally uncap it, brush it on your face (over makeup or under), and you're protected from the sun. It's so lightweight and feels like you're not wearing anything at all.

The downside to my newfound paleness is that I look like someone's albino sister in every photograph this summer. But I suppose it's a small price to pay for retaining my skin's youth for as long as possible. And not dying from skin cancer. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment