Tuesday, May 26, 2009

my real haircolor makes its debut

A funny thing happened this weekend. I was standing in the sun at a lovely Memorial Day BBQ and my dear boyfriend noticed an interesting thing happening on top of my head - the hair there was lighter than the rest and- knowing I'm a dyeaholic - wanted to know if I changed the color AGAIN. Interesting. Not a single drop of permanent dye has touched my hair since last September, so I did the math in my head and realized the color he was looking at was, in fact, au naturel. What he said next was music to my ears: "I really like it."


This is monumental. I haven't seen my natural hair color since I was 17, so I was positive it was half gray by now (it's not). Truth is, the color staring back at me was quite nice. I would describe it as a medium golden brown with subtle red highlights and for now, it's a keeper. It looks good with my skintone and eyebrows (as it should!) and I figure just saying NO to dye this summer will make my hair nice and healthy.

That said, I'll share an interesting tidbit: many hair colorists advise bringing in a photo from when you were 6 or 7 years old to find your perfect, most flattering grown-up shade. No more ripping pages out of magazines for me - I'll just revisit mom's old photo albums....

No comments:

Post a Comment