Friday, May 22, 2009

shampoo switch-up

I've read time and time again that hair doesn't get "immune" to shampoo if you use the same one all the time. But, if it seems like your fave shampoo isn't impressing your tresses as much as it used to, it's likely that you've got some product buildup going on. Yes, just like you exfoliate your face, you need to exfoliate your hair so that it's healthy, bouncy, and shiny.

The main problem that I've encountered with clarifying formulas is that they dry the HECK out of my already dry hair. I sometimes feel like they're made for a load of dirty laundry rather than human hair. I once used a deep cleansing shampoo that I swear could take grime off a minivan if they used the stuff at the car wash. I do not need that frustration, people.

I had to do something because, deep down, I knew that my string of bad hair days stemmed from my overuse of my ultra-moisturizing shampoo. Great for fighting frizz, but it also makes my hair limp after a while. Enter my little miracle (literally, it was travel-sized): Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo. I lathered up with this stuff this morning and now I'm having my best hair day in weeks. My hair is shiny, voluminous but not pouffy, and feels conditioned and soft. The magical ingredient here is grapefruit oil, which has intense cleansing properties but doesn't strip the hair of moisture. It also contains coconut and sunflower oils and soy protein to keep hair strong and shiny. Lastly, I absolutely adore the natural, fresh scent and how soothing it felt on my scalp as I massaged it in. I don't think I've been this impressed by a shampoo in quite a while.

I know where my next $8 is going - to the full sized bottle!

1 comment:

  1. I love Burts Bees mantra, but this shampoo leaves my hair way too poofy and unmanageable. I fell in love with Suave Professionals Brilliant Brunette and then they discontinued it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete