Friday, May 8, 2009

my sevin nyne experience


When I first heard that Lindsay Lohan was making her own self-tanner line, I swore I wouldn't buy it, especially for a small fortune of $35. I also wasn't feeling the strange spelling of "Seven Nine". But alas, being a sucker for interesting store displays and packaging, I caved in and bought my very own can of Sevin Nyne at Sephora yesterday. Bye-bye, lunch money for 4 days.

I was immediately roped in by the cool-looking black and pink packaging and the tall box that the tanner comes in. This is a far cry from the usual bronze-y, tan, gold-type packaging we usually see in the self-tanner market. Props to Lohan (or her people) for being creative in that respect. I was SO excited to try this - I love self-tanning mists because it makes me feel like I'm getting it done by a pro. And they're pretty hard to screw up.

After misting myself with half the canister's contents, I was almost asphyxiated by the fumes. At that point I decided that I had applied enough to give me a golden glow. First off, this stuff smells great. If I had to pick anything to be suffocated by, it would absolutely be the pleasant floral-coconut scent of Sevin Nyne. I waited and waited for the gross DHA smell that is inevitable with every tanner application but it never came. That was AWESOME.

And now, for the color (or lackthereof) part. Look, I am pale. Ghostly freakin' white. I was preparing to wake up brown or orange or burnt sienna or SOMETHING but I was transformed to an unimpressive pale peach. I'd take a picture and show you guys, but really, there'd be nothing to see. What did I do wrong? I certainly applied enough. I didn't want to give myself another coat because I'd probably use up the rest of the can.

I'm a bit disappointed in this product. It has it's pros, of course, but the product's intention is to make you TAN, and that didn't happen. Hey, maybe that explains this:

Back to the drawing board to find the perfect self-tanning mist.

No comments:

Post a Comment