Thursday, September 17, 2009

can you "smize"?

I can't. I've tried to...and I can't.

Smize is a term that Tyra Banks has coined, and it means smiling with your eyes. FYI, coincidentally, it's also the name of her alter superhero ego.

You'll recognize all this smize talk if you guys watched America's Next Top Model last night. The entire show was dedicated to the not-so-easy task of smizing. I was SO intrigued by this smizing phenomenon because I am usually one to smouth (my own term for smiling with one's mouth) and not smize. All. the. time. I don't think there's a single photo of me where I'm not smouthing. I've actually tried to do what I think is smizing, but I end up coming off like a squinty freak who is trying too hard to smize. Smizing, apparently, is not to look forced in any way shape or form.

According to TB, anyone can perfect a smize. Here's how:

Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Keep shoulders down as if somebody is pushing them down. Keep neck up. Make believe there's a string coming out of the top of your head, squint, put your hand on your tummy and think of something delicious.

Well, if smizing is that easy, I had to try it right then and there! I followed her instructions, stood in front of a mirror, and thought of cupcakes. Then chocolate. Then shrimp tempura. For some reason, I was unable to smize. Sour patch kids. PopChips. Still not there. I definitely felt happy thinking about these things, but you wouldn't know it without my signature toothy smile.

The problem was, every time I tried to smize, I ended up grinning slightly, which is a major smize no-no. Maybe I'm destined to never smize, or perhaps it just takes more practice. Until then, I'll continue to smouth as usual, and take the Olsen twins' prune idea for pictures, which I happen to think is brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment