Saturday, September 12, 2009

the perfect shave


The perfect shave - does it really exist? I used to think no, because although I've been shaving my legs for 14 years (holy good god) I'm clutzy as hell with a razor. Not one shave goes by that I don't get a nick here, a cut there, end up with dryness, razor burn, redness, missed patches of stubble, you name it. I used to think there was something wrong with ME, but then I realized that my shaving tool kit - if you can even call it that - really sucked.

Problem number one: don't laugh, but for nearly a decade and a half I used those pink Gillette "Daisy" razors that I first started using at the ripe young age of 12. And why shouldn't I? They were good enough for mom all those years, and they were cheap (I'm sorry, but college Jill would have much rather spent $10 on a Grey Goose and cranberry than a Venus Divine). I have since learned that your razor makes THE biggest difference - the more blades, the better. It also really helps to have a built-in moisture strip to help the razor glide across the skin rather than pull it. The Schick Intuition is my all-time favorite, because it's got a cool chunk of bar soap all around it and my legs never get dry or razor burned when I use it. The downside is that the soap rim wears out in, like, 3 shaves - but I keep using it anyway (it's got four blades unlike my sad little Daisy which has two). For times that I'm too broke to get the Intuition, the Schick Quattro is my trusty standby, and also much more travel-friendly.

Problem number two: Bar soap really sucks for shaving. It does. But then again, why buy shave gel? It always felt like one of those "do I really need it?" beauty products. To this day I'm not a huge fan of shave gel because a) I do not need another bottle in my shower and b) there are other things you can use in its place. I always mix a dollop of my body wash with a dollop of hair conditioner - works like a charm.

Problem number three: Dryness and itching used to be a major post-shave problem - until I started moisturizing RIGHT after getting out of the shower. If dryness is your only problem, pick a lotion, any lotion, and use it. If razor burn is an issue, use a bit of Bikini Zone gel (totally acceptable to use it on non-bikini areas) with an unscented lotion or one made for sensitive skin and slather it on.

Do you have any happy shaving tips? Now that fall's coming, my dry skin is going to need extra TLC. And I refuse to revert back to my shave-once-a-week rule because my skin is SO dry. It's not a good look.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jill, let me first off say, I work for Venus. Now let me say, I'm 39 years old and having been shaving for more years than I haven't (gulp) and I've been through the gamut of razors.

    Despite the fact I work for them, I don't get free razors or cartridges, so I have to pay for them just like everyone else. But having been through it for years, I've committed to the Breeze for the shower (tip to increase the gel bar life, keep outta the aim of water, head up) and the Embrace for the bath (5 blades, super close shave).

    I had to commit versus trying to eek out just one more shave with the less expensive razors and end up with razor burn. Just my opinion. Takes time and experimenting to get the one you want.

    Since you mentioned fall coming quickly, wanted to point out on the website there are "Four seasons of dramatically smoother legs" under the Shaving Tips: http://www.gillettevenus.com/en_US/tips_and_faqs/four_seasons/index.jsp

    Check it out and good luck!

    ReplyDelete