Wednesday, September 2, 2009

DIY haircutting - a DI-don't?

According to a recent article from The Wall Street Journal, people have been chopping off their hair at home. I have impeccable control with scissors, so I've never been one to shy away from trimming my hair (especially the bangs) in mi casa. Perhaps my many years of watching people get haircuts was like visual practice for me, I don't know.

You may be wondering what would drive someone to the point of taking scissors to their own head. One reason might be that a trim in Manhattan costs as much as lunch for two weeks and quite frankly I'd rather have my lunch. How about convenience? I mean, who wants to wait a week for an appointment when the job can be done in your own bathroom in seconds? If you're like me and can skillfully cut a 1/2 inch off your ends, then I say, go for it.

On the other hand, you have people with major trust (or lackthereof) issues. You figure "I don't want some scissor-wielding FREAK coming at MY beautiful hair! Let me do it myself and it'll come out MUCH better." I dealt with this for many years and thankfully, got over it - there are tons of talented hairstylists in this city (the ones at Antonio Prieto, Julien Farel, and Pierre Michel make the top of my list). If you want a cut - and I mean a real, pretty, layered, quality cut that grows out stunningly and frames your features - you must drag yourself to a salon, just like I do twice per year.

Would you (or have you ever) cut your hair at home? Give me all your stories of triumph...or utter disaster!

1 comment:

  1. I had that weird intense 'v' shape going on along the back of my layered hair, so I explained to my BFF that I wanted her to "round out the v." I figured it would be a short :snip: and we'd be finished, but she was back there for five minutes and I wasn't in front of a mirror. When she proclaimed, "finished!" I reach back and to feel the five inches that weren't there anymore. She chopped off the back of my hair! My hair was all one-length, two inches past my shoulders and I looked like an eight-year-old. I love her, but never again.

    ReplyDelete