Wednesday, September 9, 2009

more liner notes...


So, the topic of lip liner came up yesterday. Lip liner! Someone had asked me if I've ever worn it. Um, only from 1996-2000, otherwise known  as my bleak years of beauty. I've seen better days for sure, but I'm not going to totally dismiss lip liner. After all, it was my color choice (Wet n Wild #666! Now I realize why it was so aptly named - it was truly the devil reincarnated into a pencil) and application technique that made me a beauty "don't" all those years. Why the liner lunacy? Selena. I remember trying to emulate her dark liner look because I was so obsessed with that movie. Unfortunately, what worked for her (and for J.Lo) didn't work for me. 

I abandoned lip liner for many years after that, and it wasn't until about a year ago that I realized its magical powers. Case in point: a nude or creamy pink lip liner filled in the lips and topped with lip balm gives a beautiful daytime lip look that lasts a few hours - much longer than any creamy lipstick or gloss would. I also like to do this when I wear a smoky eye at night. Then, there's red. A matte red pencil is BEAUTIFUL for getting that old Hollywood look (or new H-wood: think Gwen Stefani). But you're probably asking - why liner when you have a lipstick? When you're doing a red lip, precision is key - lipsticks are sometimes too runny, too thick, too creamy, and before you know it, lipstick is everywhere - teeth, chin, corners of the mouth, tip of the nose. Disaster. 

Here are some of my favorite lip liners:

NARS Jungle Red
NARS Salsa
MAC Whirl
Smashbox Palm Beach

No matter which you choose, remember the cardinal rule of lip liner - don't forget to fill!


No comments:

Post a Comment