Wednesday, February 11, 2009

WHOA, legs

I was watching the Grammy awards with my dear boyfriend when Carrie Underwood took the stage. A few minutes into her performance, he asked if she was wearing stockings. I thought it was funny that he said the word "stockings" in the first place, but then I really wondered - IS she wearing any? Doubtful. Her legs looked like they'd been airbrushed to perfection. They were shimmering and glimmering and very tan - everything my legs are NOT during this time of year. Now, Carrie's got some nice legs to begin with...it's obvious the girl has been doing her lunges and squats and whathaveyou. But there was clearly a lot of help from leg makeup here, and to be honest I can't wait for that first warm day where I can show off my leg makeup skills as well.

I first became obsessed with the concept of leg makeup when I found out that they stockpiled the stuff backstage at the Victoria's Secret fashion show. And here I am, thinking these models have naturally tan, contoured, perfect legs. Not so! When I was a beauty editor at CosmoGirl, Linda Hay, makeup artist for VS, came to visit and brought a model along with her. She demonstrated how to make over one's legs so that they look picture-perfect:

1. Exfoliate and shave. St. Ives Apricot Scrub (yes, the face one) is my favorite exfoliator to use on my body. It's cheap and smells good!

2. Start with self tanner. You already know I'm a big fan of Dove Energy Glow. It will camouflage veins, cellulite, and anything else going on that you don't care to put on display. Here's how:

- Tan your lower legs (back and front, obviously) first, then your thighs (back and front) using circular motions with your hands. If you use an up-and-down motion, you'll streak. Use the excess lotion leftover on your palms to tan your ankles and top of your feet. My own personal tip: lightly rub a tissue over your kness to absorb any excess tanner. Knees tend to have creases and are drier than the rest of your legs, resulting in more color deposit, i.e. blotchiness. Too-dark knees are a dead giveaway that you self-tanned.

3. Add pale pink or gold shimmer straight up your shins and straight down the middle of your thigh. This adds a slimming and elongating effect to the legs and makes the unhighlighted, darker areas - your inner and outer thighs - seem smaller. You must try Tarte Celebutante Dry Oil Shimmer Spray it's the best ever. I also LOVE NARS Body Glow but at $60 it almost exceeds my monthly Sephora expenditure budget. I treat myself to that in the summer when my legs are on display every day.

I must say, doing this leg makeup routine is so entertaining. It's like my legs go from horrific to hotness in 10 minutes. The epitome of instant gratification.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment