Friday, February 13, 2009

makeup expires :)

One of my greatest joys in life is educating people on all sorts of beauty matters. Like, for example, I was the one who introduced my college roomie to concealer (Benefit Boi-ing) and truly it was one of my proudest moments. Can you imagine not knowing that there's a tool to cover things on your face? It's a glorious thing.

Last night I shared some beauty wisdom with a woman who actually isn't totally clueless on the topic. My mother knows quite a bit about makeup. Did you know that it was her who taught me how to apply eye liner and smudge it with a Q-tip? I was in 11th grade and it's something I now do every day. Unfortunately, I discovered something rather disturbing while over at her apartment last night. She has been using the same foundation for A TRILLION YEARS. It's this Maybelline Express Foundation Stick that I actually passed on to her when I was a freshman in college, I think. She needed to borrow it one day and loved it so much that I just let her keep it. Anyway, I haven't seen it in drugstores in years and I think they might have discontinued it. I was so grossed out that I lectured her on the importance of throwing away makeup after X amount of months because bacteria builds up and can make your skin breakout and cause eye infections and whatnot.

I doubt the mascara police are going to come knocking on your door if you keep the tube for four months instead of three. But use this as a general guideline (MOM) as to when you need to trash your stuff:

Mascara - 3 months
Foundation- 1 year
Blush- 2 years
Eye shadow and eye liner - 2 years
Lipstick and lip liner - 2 years

Personally, I look forward to detoxing my train case because then I get to try new products! Heaven!!!!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment