Monday, March 23, 2009

brazilian ban

When someone recently told me that the state of New Jersey had plans to "ban Brazilians", I was a little confused and wondered "What did Brazilians do to NJ? Is there a sudden invasion of Brazilian people that I didn't know about?"

It took a few seconds for me to realize she was talking about Brazilian waxing, not the lovely Brazilian people. Apparently, two women were hospitalized after getting a pretty bad infection after their waxing session. Let me start by saying that I'm not a waxer and never will be. Any beauty ritual that suggests popping Tylenol (or Vicodin, in the case of a former co-worker) beforehand is something I'd prefer not to deal with.

Although I've never been waxed, I don't see anything wrong with the procedure. Let's think about how many NJ women have probably been Brazilian-ed in the past year. I'm willing to bet the number is in the thousands - and only two of these women got an infection. Why not just inspect, or at the very worst, close down the salons they went to? Perhaps salon workers need to be retrained to properly administer hot wax and remove hair on hidden areas of the body. Completely banning this procedure is ridic. For every poorly done wax job, there are probably hundreds of success stories.

I also find it disturbing that the state of NJ would even consider banning Brazilian waxing. It's just so weird that NJ lawmakers would be sitting in a room discussing the topic. Interesting to think about...

The good news is that the ban was scrapped - great news for all of you New Jersey peoeple who like to walk around hairless and happy. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment