Wednesday, March 18, 2009

my trip to MAC


Oh, how I love sunny, almost-spring weather. There's nothing I'd rather do than frolick in the city streets and aimlessly walk around mid-day and just happen to accidentally pass by the MAC store on 22nd and Broadway.

Truth is, I find myself spending insane amounts of money on my lunch hour when the weather is nice. Jill + long walks + stores + a few bucks is a recipe for danger. Today, I wandered into the MAC store to buy some more of my beloved Studio Fix shade C3 - the best pressed powder ever, by the way - and was somehow suckered into purchasing two eye shadows as well. Good thing I was pressed for time, otherwise I would have easily tried on some lip glosses, liners, and god knows what else. Scary to even think about.

As I made my way to the colorful display of shadows, a lovely man armed with a gazillion brushes approached me. Uh oh. Not good. Get away! Don't you know I have issues saying "no" to cosmetics salespeople? He asked if I needed help, to which I felt like saying "Yes, I need a LOT of help, actually. I shouldn't be in here, because I'm kind of broke and I shouldn't be buying makeup." Assuming that's not the kind of help he meant, I admitted that I was on the prowl for a shadow that wasn't "boring brown" but "not too intense for daytime." He aimed his magic wand (a.k.a. his shadow brush) at the row of plummy shades and pointed out Trax, a gorgeous medium purple with subtle gold shimmer (pictured here). He asked if he could try some on my lids and asked me to have a seat.

Great. Whenever I "have a seat" I feel as though we're spending quality time together and it'll be EXTRA hard for me to resist a purchase. I'm so weak.

He lightly dusted Trax along my entire lid, from outer to inner corner. Then, he grabbed a deep rose shade called Expensive Pink and brushed that into my creases and outer corners only.

Now, I usually don't go for pinks because a) I tend to apply it wrong, resulting in that unattractive conjunctivitis effect and b) it doesn't tend to do much for my dark hazel eyes (blue-eyed gals, however, should LIVE in pink shadow). For my wallet's sake, I was hoping this would look dreadful, or at the very least, just so-so. But alas, it did not. It looked GORGEOUS. It gave my eyes depth, made the green and gold flecks in my eyes really pop, and added just the right amount of drama and smokey-ness for daytime. For a split second, I didn't believe I was looking at my very own eyes. The MU artist said I could layer even more product on to really build the color for nighttime, and dip an eyeliner brush in Trax to line my lower lash lines. I thought about thanking him and exiting the store with only my Studio Fix, but then I thought about how utterly painful that would be. I know I'd just be dreaming about these colors for ever and I would procrastinate washing off his beautiful creation, which I justified as a health hazard to my eyes. I purchased.

Hey, I'm $60 poorer, but my eyes look like a trillion bucks. What a happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment