Sunday, April 19, 2009

face time

There have been times in my life - specifically, college - when I didn't exactly treat my skin as nicely as I do now. To ward off the occasional zit, I'd use harsh cleansers to wash my dry, sensitive skin. I went tanning a few times a week, a habit that I not only regret but I'm embarrassed to admit. And, my diet, late nights and drinking habits made my skin look dull and my undereye area look like puffy little marshmallows.

Since then, I've also started doing something that would seem pretty obvious, but took me SO many years to get used to - using skincare products that are meant for my skin type. Do you realize how many women out there don't do this? I mean, why on Earth was I using Proactiv's three-step program on my acne-less face? I switched to a gentle cream cleanser and my skin was instantly happier. Another thing that I do now is take my makeup off before bed, no matter how tired I am. It takes a minute or two but the skin benefits are huge. Snoozing with makeup on is kind of gross, anyway - your face is pushed up against your pillow, which forces dirt, oil, and bacteria back into your pores. If you do this on a regular basis, breakouts will follow. Been there, done that. Besides, who wants to wake up to a dirty pillowcase?

That said, here are some dry/sensitive skin favorites that I swear by (all are highly recommended for all of you who share my skin type):

1. Pur-lisse Pur-delicate Gentle Soymilk Cleanser: Yes, it's $38, but the bottle is huge, the product smells unbelieveable (sort of herbal, which I like), and it takes off my stubborn eye makeup every single time. My skin feels very clean but not stripped of moisture - I'll take every bit I can! - after I use it.

2. Fresh Sugar Face Polish: You know how some celebrities have that I-just-got-a-facial-glow, even when they aren't wearing makeup? This stuff does that for me. It's an exfoliator with real crushed strawberries and Vitamin C (yay for antioxidants) that I use once a week to leave my skin skin smooth and flake-free. Another thing to love? My skin doesn't look beet red and scrubbed within an inch of its life whenever I use it.

3. Korres Pomegranate Cleansing and Makeup Removing Wipes: We used to hoard packets of these things back at the magazine. Why? Because a good facial wipe is hard to come by -these smell divine (not too perfume-y) and take off every stitch of makeup, which makes them perfect for those nights when I'm too tired to turn on the faucet and lather up. You'll notice that they're made for oily/combo skin, but I actually find them quite gentle, in comparison to other makeup remover wipes I've used.
4. Olay Complete All Day UV Moisture Lotion: This is my all-time favorite daytime facial moisturizer. It has SPF 15 and is completely oil-free, so I don't look like a greasy mess by 11am. It's also lightweight so I can wear it under makeup and NOT feel like my face is being suffocated. I really hate when that happens. Since I tend to splurge on other skincare products (as you can see), it helps that this is cheap and at good ol' Duane Reade - high quality for a low price always puts a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment