Wednesday, April 8, 2009

the new generation of hair accessories


When I think "hair accessories", visions of long banana clips and neon scrunchies come to mind. I used to collect these things, you know. At a flea market near my family's Jersey Shore summer house, they were five for $1 and came in more colors than a 64-count box of Crayola crayons - an 8-year-old's dream.

Then, in high school I was obsessed with those bra strap headbands (wasn't everyone?). Again, had to have one in every. single. color. 

Hair accessories have come a long way since then. Aside from my trusty Goody Ouchless hair ties that I use at the gym, I don't have much else aside from a plain black headband in my stash right now. Lately, I've spotted some adorable hair accessories at Urban Outfitters, like the clip pictured here. It's cute, unique, and definitely makes a statement but it's not too overwhelming and huge (it's not like you're putting a bird on your head, for all you SATC fans). Think of it like a little piece of jewelry for your hair - something to make your overall look a little more fabulous. 

This clip comes in a few different colors and I've noticed that hints of white, beige, or silver look best in dark hair, while the light brunette or blonde models from the UO website tend to look great in dark or vivid colors like purple and blue. I guess it's all about contrast. Also, you don't want to look like your own head is sprouting feathers in the same color as your hair. That would just be weird.

Let me know if you agree or if you think I've lost my mind and this is a totally hideous trend...

image: urbanoutfitters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment