Wednesday, April 1, 2009

at-home hair dye success


My apologies for being MIA the past few days. I'm sure you'll all be entertained by the fact that I dyed my hair in my bathroom on Monday night. I decided a few months ago that I was boycotting box colors but as you can see, that didn't last too long.

I used to be married to Garnier but had quick, regrettable affairs with L'Oreal Excellence, Preference, Colorsilk, and Clairol Hydrience. This time I picked Clairol Natural Instincts. I was hesitant at first because NI is NOT a permanent hair color - it's semi-permanent, which means it washes out in 28 shampoos - and I thought I'd be wasting my time. On the bright side, if I didn't love the color, I'd simply wash my hair 28 times in a row and voila, it never happened.

I've been itching to go back to red forever. I've decided that blonde is totally not doable for my skintone, black makes me look like a washed-out witch, and brown is just boring (as you can see I'm so against having the haircolor god intended me to have - oh well). So I picked up NI in Spiced Cider (see picture), which they call "light warm brown". I knew full well that the stuff wouldn't lighten my hair, so I wasn't at all disappointed with the very subtle change. The dye simply reddened my blonde highlights (which made them blend nicely) and made my overall color appear much warmer. I was so impressed at how rich the color is and how soft and shiny my hair looks! If you're looking to darken too-light highlights, gradually go from blonde back to brown, or add warmth to your color, NI is your new best friend.

I have to say, this is my most successful at-home color job to date. Why? Because I wasn't expecting a dramatic change. I knew what I was getting myself into, and I am pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment