Monday, April 6, 2009

glow big or glow home


A little quiz for you: you have only 1.5 minutes to do your makeup. What do you apply?

I was in this unpleasant situation today - pressed for time and sitting in front of my mirror in a blank state of mind, not knowing what the heck to do with my Monday morning face. I decided it would be best to look alive and awake. That's always a good thing.

Whenever I want to brighten my face and look like I've slept for a full 8 hours when I clearly have not, I reach for highlighter. Highlighters are freakin' brilliant and here's why: they magically transform a tired face into rested-looking, glowing perfection in a matter of seconds. Highlighters (a.k.a. luminizers) come in all formulas - from powder to liquid to stick-form - but my current favorite highlighter is Benefit That Gal. Now, the packaging says it's a "brightening face primer", and I'm sure it works just peachy for that purpose. However, I get shiny mid-day, so I keep this on my cheekbones only. 

That Gal is a light pink lotion with teeny tiny light reflectors that make your cheekbones look radiant and healthy - like they popped right off of J.Lo's face circa 2002. Very enviable, indeed. The packaging looks like a glue stick but hey, should you bring this everywhere with you, product leakage into your favorite bag is impossible. Genius. 

I suspect this stuff would work for fair to medium skintones, but if you're olive-skinned or darker, go for something warm and golden. NARS The Multiple in St. Barts - a shimmery tan - is the perfect glow-giver for you. 

Oh, and if you're wondering, my 1.5 minute makeup routine also included some navy eyeliner, a coat of mascara, and cherry Chapstick. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment